Wednesday 11 March 2009

Visit to the dark side



Strange two days here.....

From the silence comes the mania......


Monday saw us get a call from a European sounding woman who started to say "Hello, I have your dog, Jacob the Italiano Bracco" shocked and excited I replied "oh really", to which she continued "Yes I think so" - just as I was replying to her, the phone crackled and went dead. Tried ringing the mobile number she called on back - straight to the answerphone (T-Mobile) Oh damn it I thought - bad signal area no doubt, so consequently sat with phone in hand for 30 mins thinking she was running after him, trying to get him for us.

An hour passed, still going onto answerphone, that's was okay, she was probably by now with him at the vets, maybe he was hurt.

2 hrs went by, where could she be ? Maybe her battery was flat ?
Still going to answerphone.


Next morning after a sleepless night (and still trying the mobile at silly o'clock) Jon rang the phone 7am, only for it to ring 8 times and then someone abort it to answerphone. Damn it.

Was this our 1st hoaxer as Jon had predicted 5 minutes after the very first call ?

All day, between the 6 Jacob detectives we rang, including the police, who are now in the process of tracing the call to locate the caller to take action. I even texted the mobile to say, if you have our boy, please let him go to somewhere where you can tell us to pick him up, or if it's about the reward, no questions asked.

Also are you someone who did this as a joke, if so just text to say. We won't bother you again.

What a day :-( MANIC ! Guess if this was our first hoaxer, we just weren't ready for how how it would hit us, and I have to say here, how the hell can someone think it would be funny I will never know. I won't swear here, but they are callous beyond words.

If it is a hoaxer, they might need to change their number, as I seem to have become very addicted to that number for some reason, it could be nice to have to ring it over and over (and over)....I too enjoy a good 'laugh' you see !


Last night about 8pm a lady from Broxted called to say her son was walking their Boxer and Dog De Bordeaux, in a field behind their house and where their horses were in the paddock.

They were confronted by a dog that went bouncing in to her dogs, and also then was annoying her horses. Of course Jon's reaction was that Jacob was very friendly, and would never try to annoy anyone, but then we have to remember, he's (if it is him) been out there 2 months now, and maybe not quite so 'Jacob-like' anymore. It suddenly occurred to us that should we get him back, we might have some difficult issues to contend with in order to return him to his 'Jacobness'.
The dog her son saw was in between the 2 breeds they have, so size would be about right, he was orange and white, and mostly white on the chest. All good descriptions of Jacob.
He went around them, and then off towards Thaxted direction.
We went storming over there, walked the fields behind this ladies house, and then the others directly opposite and around the area, we were out there til late, but saw nothing at all.

It was a lovely night as it's a full moon, and was like someone left a lightbulb on, quite good to see. Especially for me, i'm someone who literally goes blind in the dark and will trip over my own feet !

We'll go back there in an hour to resume the search and speak with the lady at her house for more details if she's in.
It could be Jacob, who knows, maybe the 'hoax' Monday was a call to 'suss' us out, maybe they got scared after all the calls yesterday, and now the police are involved, we have to follow this all up - just because it could be him.
We have to leave no stone unturned in our search for our boy, if it's him, and he's been out for almost 2 months in the depths of winter, he deserves to be found doesn't he.

9 comments:

  1. I really feel for you and wish there was something I could do. I have made all my "friends" on facebook aware of Jacob and asked them to mail their "friends" about Jacob. Words fail me regarding the Hoax call. You have so many people supporting you just focus on them. Lots of love Jo and Jack (a Viszla)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hoax call has one very odd feature - they left their number! We learned that a very good way to spot a potential hoax before they even say anything is to see that the number has been witheld (comes up as 'anonymous call'). Just maybe there is someone out there who has some information for you. It is also different that it was a woman (all our hoaxers were male).

    If she is trying to speak in private maybe calling back has caused her to switch the phone off. We wonder if you should wait a couple of days and then ring again from a different number, with a cover story if a man answers (try and sell some double glazing!). If the woman answers she may not be able to talk, so be prepared to talk to her without other than a 'yes' or 'no' reply - ask if she can talk at the moment as the first question. If she sounds uncomfortable you could always suggest that she pretends that her mobile phone provider is trying to sell an enhanced package.

    We have had 3 hoax calls so far and sympathise with the feelings that it gives you. We hope that the police will engage enough to trace the number.

    From Tim and Ffion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really hope you find him tonight, he so deserves to come home. Also hope the police find those horrible europeans and sort them out. Can't understand why someone would do that to you, dirty swines. People can be so cruel.

    Have posted your info on blog, and was just wondering, could you upload a missing poster that we could print off? I know we are far away, but it would do no harm to put it up in our surrounding villages. Doggies are higly regarded in this area, truly believe if anyone saw him in a new family, they would ring you. Just a thought, you don't have to if you don't want to.

    Wrap up warm tonight, its cold out, and so much good luck!

    Linzi x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. We sure hope Jacob is returned to you soon. Your story is sad and could happen to any of us. When we are up north I let my 2 run on our property and when they don't return when I call them I panic. When there is so much space for them to run in it seems a shame not to let them do it.We'll pray for Jacobs safe return. Cassie (BRD & Hooties human)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    We live in South Florida, so we can't be of much help in your search -- but we saw the note about Jacob on Molly and Taffy's blog -- and we had to send you our love and support.

    We saw the Bracco Italiano for the first time we remember at the Crufts show last week, which was webcast since the BBC didn't carry it. And we thought, what a beautiful dog.

    We can only imagine how awful this wait has been for you -- Just Harry ran out the door and disappeared for four minutes once and my heart was in my throat -- so almost two months has to be devastating.

    We will have our paws crossed for Jacob's return to your loving care!!!

    Wirey woofs

    Jake Just Harry (the Barkalot Boyz) and Mom, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you get him back soon!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=64711197040

    this is a link to the facebook group we have set up for Jacob.
    Feel free to add any information you think will help everyone welcome

    Regards Carol & Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw your postings at Crufts and my heart goes out to you and Jacob. I will blog about you and Jacob on my site as well as link on facebook, twitter, etc. Keeping the lovely Jacob in my prayers.

    Heidi
    The Dog Reporter©

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have put your mail about Jacob up on both my blogs. This comment was left on my Spaces blog < http://ajmusings0.spaces.live.com/blog/> as Ruth, the sender was unable to comment here:
    ........
    From Ruth,
    I have read most of the story of Jacob and I am so sorry for you. I hope you find your boy, and in the meantime I will put the word out in our area. I help out at our local animal sanctuary so will ask questions there. Good luck xx
    .......

    I have copied over a couple of your photos to my blogs. I do hope you find Jacob soon. My prayers go out to you and him.

    ReplyDelete