Wednesday 18 February 2009

Memory Lane

I love this photo of Ollie (our epileptic Spinone who is no longer with us)
and an 11 week old Jacob, purely as it epitomises everything we love about
the 2 breeds we have
--------------------------------------------

Today we acknowledge that it is 4 weeks since we saw Jacob
4 weeks, it feels like a lifetime to be honest.

After trying to settle into normality yesterday, and then sitting here scouring email addresses for vets, dog walkers, dog groomers and couriers in the Cambridge areas, I did what I know I shouldn't have, and took a trip down memory lane.
Those that know us well know we don't have any children, that was not to be, so the dogs in our life became 'furkids'. Consequently where most people our age have a hard drive full of cute kiddie pics, we have a hard drive full of cute doggie pics, that is, some 25,000 odd to be precise !
No wonder this computer is slow !


As I sat here looking back from puppyhood and to the future browsing through the photo's it suddenly hit me as to what we had lost, what the work we are putting in each day (and night) is to bring back home.
I won't lie and say that it wasn't a relief to have yet another good cry, it felt lovely looking back through the memories we'd all created together.
I could only liken myself to the episode of 'Everybody Loves Raymond', whereby Deborah takes her 'me' time away from the kids to secretly sit with slushy love songs playing, and a box of tissues to make herself cry.


For me after the tears, it spurred me on to get Jacob, find where he is, and never let him out of my sight again.

We decided last night that we would have a late night drive around the areas we cover on a regular basis. Sometimes when it's dark, things stand out more clearly, or you can just sit, and listen.
We were planning to go out early hours, but it seemed unfair for Jon who had to be up and out by 8am to do this, so we went out just after 8pm and drove round, sat, got out to look through the NVG's and generally had a good look around.
We saw 2 badgers scurrying along the verges, in 2 separate areas, so it was nice to watch those through the NVG.


Thankfully, I think in the 2hrs of being out we met about 4 or 5 cars, and that was on the busier country roads. The back roads were absolutely silent, eerily quiet actually, especially as the fog came down more heavily. It did reassure us that if Jacob is moving around, and moving around at night particularly, then crossing the roads wouldn't hopefully be causing him much worry.
By 10.30pm we had to come back home as the visibility wasn't beyond 10ft in front of the car.


I really hope that in the next few days we hear something positive.
We need a boost, we desperately need something to say he really is out there

2 comments:

  1. God every time I read your words I snivel too!! It is a beautiful photo of Jacob and Ollie. Still wishing all your dreams come true. Helen Thomas x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everytime I look at your beautiful pics of Jacob, I see my Bella, and imagine it is her lost, and can't really imagine the pain you are feeling! I am sitting here trying hard not to cry but alas the tears are flowing! We do not have kids either, and we love Bella as much as any parent loves a child.
    Try to stay strong!

    juliax

    ReplyDelete