Thursday 12 February 2009

Where are you Jacob ?




















This blog is dedicated purely to keeping both ourselves and other people kind enough to care, updated about the search for Jacob, our missing Bracco Italiano.
Jacob went missing on the morning of 21st January 2009.

I guess in this, my very first post, there will be lots to catch up on.
These past 3 weeks have been something of a blur for Jon and I.
There have been some incredible highs when a call came through to say he had been sighted, and despairing lows when they sadly came to nothing.
People who have gone through this missing dog scenario tell you that it is one huge and bumpy rollercoaster, one where the ride is free, you just pay with your heart until it's time to jump off......They are not wrong.

In order for me to update this blog to be absolutely current, I will summarise from the very beginning.

Jacob went missing from the back of the woods near to where we live.
This area is CB11 4XB - Littlebury Green, Saffron Walden, Essex.
A rural area, a hamlet village, for the most part open farmland surrounds us on all sides.
Jacob knows the area as we are lucky enough to live this rurally, and he gets a good walk in the immediate area he was lost each and every day.
He has gone missing for a few hours here and there in the past, (that nose of his sure does get some neat smells!) but always he has been found, or at the very least, has come home after a good few hours to himself.
I have to say he has never ever disappeared off the face of the earth before, which i'm afraid to say seems to what's happening here.
I'm not one to query David Bowie's perceptions about "is there life on Mars?" but if Jacob is as elusive and Houdiniesque as he's proving to be, I may well be forced to reconsider his apparent alien abduction !

So, we'll start at the beginning, and to the 21st Jan, the day Jacob ran off happily playing within a pack of deer, Jon was hot on his heels but sadly lost sight as the herd and Jacob crossed into fields and wooded area at some speed.
The whole of that day and night, friends and us alike, spend hours and hours looking for him, returning home at 3am after scouring the area.
I have to say we were convinced then that we would hear a familiar Bracco wail in the early hours simply to say, "okay guys, adventure over, i'm home, where's the duvet ?"
Sadly this was not to be.
Jacob was posted on Doglost, and the fabulous Jo, is still ever helpful offering advice and encouragement that yes we can find him and all be reunited.

For the next 5 days Jon and I alongside a team of friends, doggie friends and family scoured the areas we thought he could be in.
We bought a night vision monocular to enable us to search in the dead of night, and left more wee trails than can be possibly decent for health and safety limitations.
Still nothing.
We found it hard to sleep, hard to eat, and more than anything found it hard to comprehend where the hell our dog had disappeared to ?
Dogs just don't disappear like this do they ?
Sadly, after looking at the lost dogs on websites such as Doglost, it seems that unfortunately it's just a common occurrence, and you wouldn't necessarily know about them, unless you became a 'dog missing' victim yourself.

The one thing I have to say here, is the absolute mind boggling amount of help and advice, time and effort all of our friends, e-friends and complete strangers have given to us.
At a time when the world seems to be teetering on the edge of madness and hardship, there are people out there, offering advice, driving miles to be with us in the searches, spending money phoning everyone from dog groomers to DHL, as well as sending out posters to farmers and businesses about Jacob being missing.
The absolute generosity of you all, well it's just astounding.
We just can't begin to Thank You all for your continued support.
Extra Special Thanks must go out to our fabulous friends and absolute towers of strength Sarah, Stewart, Catherine and Simon, Tracy, Shaun, alongside Jane, Janet, Jackie and Carol for their continued support and advice.
Sincere Thanks to you all for the shoulders to lean and cry on.
The Spinone and Bracco communities are as ever the most wonderful group of people you could wish to have around.Their help and advice, and utter kindness really does hold no boundaries.
We do feel we should mention a very kind lady in our Thanks also. Joanne Hull, www.joannehull.com a reputed Animal Communicator, who that if through her dedication and free giving advice, thoughts and visions alone, would bring Jacob home in a heartbeat.

Despite a huge search on Saturday 24th Jan, with over 20 people and dogs arriving from all parts of the UK to form help (and nearly ending up in a few of us being arrested for deer poaching!) we all arrived back home, tired and aching, and with heavy hearts, there just wasn't any sign of him.
We de-clogged our walking boots, and hung up our coat for yet another night without our boy.

On the afternoon of Monday 26th Jan, we were out scouring the back roads and postering some 15 minutes away when a call came through from a ranger at Audley End House, a stately English Heritage house some 2 miles from our home.
They had apparently spotted a dog in the parterre garden, and it matched Jacob. 4 rangers agreed it was him.
We shot through those back roads as speeds I daren't remember, knowing that time was of the essence to get there before he had gone.
Sadly, even though it was some 10 minutes before we arrived, the area was vast, and the rangers hadn't really watched his whereabouts, so on foot we went and searched and searched the boundaries, anywhere he could be holed up, trees, buildings, but not a snifter.
Jon and I stayed out that night, and was still trespassing (ahem!) well into the early hours, NV firmly in hand. Again Jacob had outrun us, he wasn't waiting around.
Another low moment, we felt we were so near, yet obviously so far.

The days after the sighting meant we stayed pretty local to that particular area, late night searches and trespassing seemed order of the day (and night) but it turned up nothing at all despite our huge effort.

Again, after the 1st sighting, we had real hopes someone would see him around. Surely no dog can choose to be that elusive ?
To not see a distinctive orange and white large breed dog trundling along the fields or dare I say it, the roadside, well how can that be ?
We knew that the hundreds (and hundreds) of posters we'd put out were in prominent places, they were evidently being seen as everyone we stopped, already knew about Jacob, sadly they didn't know where he was.

We decided to set about trying to gain some media coverage in the local weekly papers, and thankfully were warmly greeted by them both covering a spread about the length we'd gone to to locate his whereabouts.
This week was only dampened further by our worry for his safe return to us as the worst snow for 2 decades hit our area (and largely most of the UK)
The night Jon and I were out, snow falling at such a heavy pace, must have been the lowest point in the search so far. How could he survive this weather. Would he survive it at all ?
We tried desperately to push those thoughts to the back of our minds, knowing that by now he surely would be resorted to losing the domestic dog identity we had given to him, and duly gaining that of a feral being.
We hoped he would be okay, we hoped more than anything he had somewhere warm and dry to shelter, and even more than that, we just hoped he could find food. He needed food to survive.

On Saturday 31st Jan, another sighting came through when we were out in convoy with a group of trusty friends. We drove through the town, to a 'blink and you'll miss it' hamlet called Purton End, apparently a passer by had seen a dog similar to Jacob ambling alongside the deep ditches on the country road passing through there. She thought it was definitely him having stopped nearby the town to get our number from a poster.
We all jumped into our cars and split up to get there.
We couldn't have been there more than 5 or 7 minutes later, but there was no sign of Jacob. We spent the whole of that afternoon, off in groups, looking, scouring woods, old buildings, walking miles to see if he was around there.
Sadly nothing again. Another low point.
I myself have some doubts about this sighting, just based on the fact that one of our friends who was out helping that day had driven by the very spot the passer by noticed 'Jacob', and was confronted with a liver and white Springer in almost the exact same spot.
On a friendly phone call back to her in order to reconfirm, she was adamant the dog she had noticed was most definitely not a Spaniel, and that she knew her dog breeds, Jacob and a Springer looked distinctly different. Amen to that. But I have this niggling feeling about it.
Especially hindered only by the fact that further investigation with the neighbouring houses led us to find out that yes, the Springer was 'always hovering in those ditches, and yes, one day it would be dead on the road if the owners weren't more careful'. Hmmmmmm

Since that time, we have had no real further sightings of Jacob.
We have had numerous possibilities that we have followed up, some which were definite no go's and some that are just plain silly.
All of them we have taken very seriously indeed, just because you just never quite know.
On the morning of Sunday 8th Jan, we received a call from Dr Ffion Coates, who with her husband Tim, has also been desperately trying to find their missing black Labrador Sky.
Sky disappeared on 1st December 2008, so has been missing for some 10 weeks now.
Please take a look at their blog, http://skyisstillmissing.blogspot.com/ and see if there is any help you can offer should you be located nearby.
Both Ffion and Tim are going to extraordinary lengths to find Sky, they too have a great team of support and have mastered their response to sightings in militray fashion which can only be admired.
Unfortuntely, their huge efforts have recently been hindered by the upset of those out to make the search that little bit more difficult for them, (like they need that) that is, by trashing their cameras and traps.
Sometimes other humans can be so cruel and absolutely mind bogglingly idiotic.
Thanks for the advice and support Ffion and Tim, we can't wait for both our boys to be finally back home.

We have managed this week to obtain media coverage on many radio stations,
Radio1, Heart Fm, BBC Radio Essex and Cambridgeshire, as well as full page articles in some of the weekend national papers, Daily Mirror, Daily Mail, and the Telegraph.
Jon also managed to gain airtime on ITV Anglia news whilst out on a major search on Monday 9th Jan with Solly our Spinone, and Stewart and his Spinone Barney.

We are very confident now that we have reached the local (and somewhat national) heights of people knowing about Jacob being missing.
We just hope that after all of our combined efforts that 'call' will come to say he's been found.
Our hearts still leap every time a number we don't know flashes up on the mobile, just hoping and praying that perhaps this one call will be the one call to say they have our boy and he's safe and sound, ready to come home.

I can't wait for that moment. I just hope it's destined to happen.


10 comments:

  1. Shelley and Jon
    Just signed up -- this is my first time on a blog so it took me a bit to figure out what to do (computer illiterate). I think this is a great idea.
    Here's hoping to Jacob's safe return very soon. I will check back several times a day for updates. Just wish this dang pond was not between us so I could help you with the searching.
    Janet r

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another Janet here.

    Hoping for great news soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your searching and efforts have been relentless Jon, Shelley and all others helping, everyone at Doglost is willing that all important and long awaited call to come. Come on Jacob, give yourself up from your big adventure, your mum and dad want you home. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon & Shelley & Jacob hoping for good news soon that you are all back together. Thinking of you all as usual keep your spirits up he'll be back soon
    Jackie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are right with you & Jon, fingers crossed for a sighting this weekend of Mr Jacob Houdini! Hugs as always to you both. Speak soon honey
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jon Shelley & Jacob I hope you will soon all be reunited and your nightmare over. Look forward to reading "Jacob home safe and sound"
    With your relentless effort something good has got to happen soon.
    Hugs to you both.
    Love Sue S. xxx

    ReplyDelete

  7. My Name is SANTO WESTLEY..I never believed in Love Spells or Magics until I met this special spell caster when i contact this man called okutemple@hotmail.com Execute some business..He is really powerful..My wife divorce me with no reason for almost 4 years and i tried all i could to have her back cos i really love her so much but all my effort did not work out.. we met at our early age at the college and we both have feelings for each other and we got married happily for 5 years with no kid and she woke up one morning and she told me she’s going on a divorce..i thought it was a joke and when she came back from work she tender to me a divorce letter and she packed all her loads from my house..i ran mad and i tried all i could to have her back but all did not work out..i was lonely for almost 4 years…So when i told the spell caster what happened he said he will help me and he asked for her full name and her picture..i gave him that..At first i was skeptical but i gave it a try cos have tried so many spell casters and there is no solution…so when he finished with the readings,he got back to me that she’s with a man and that man is the reason why she left me…The spell caster said he will help me with a spell that will surely bring her back.but i never believe all this…he told me i will see a positive result within 3 days..3 days later,she called me herself and came to me apologizing

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Name is AMANDA , From USA. I wish to share my
    testimonies with the general public about what this man called
    Dr BABA has just done for me , this man has just brought back
    my lost Ex husband to me with his great spell, I was married to
    this man called Steven we were together for a long time and we
    loved our self’s but when I was unable to give him a child for 2
    years he left me and told me he can’t continue anymore then I
    was now looking for ways to get him back until a friend of mine
    told me about this man and gave his contact email, then you
    won't believe this when I contacted this man on my problems he
    prepared this spell cast and bring my lost husband back, and
    after a month I miss my month and go for a test and the result
    stated am pregnant am happy today am a mother of a baby girl,
    thank you once again the great priestehor for what you have
    done for me, if you are out there passing through any of this
    problems listed below:
    1) If you want your ex back.
    (2) if you always have bad dreams.
    (3) You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4) You want women/men to run after you.
    (5) If you want a child.
    (6) You want to be rich.
    (7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be
    yours forever.
    (8) If you need financial assistance.
    (9) How you been scammed and you want to recover you lost
    money
    if you also to cure your Hiv\Aid can contact hem via: email
    okutemple@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I Want To Testify On How To Stop A Divorce And Save Your Marriage.

    Hello, I am Renée Carigna, currently living in New jersey city, USA, were Divorce seems to be the other of the day,i was married to my husband Lawson for 18 years and we were living happily together with our 3 kids and all of a sudden their came this sad moment for the first time in my life i curt my husband having an affair with a lady outside our marriage before this time i have already started noticing strange behavior like he used to spend some time with us, comes home early after work but since he started having an affair with this lady all his love for his wife gone and he now treats me badly and will not always make me happy.I had to keep on moving with my life never knowing that our marriage was now leading to divorce which i can not take because i love Lawson my husband so much and i can't afford to loose him to this strange Lady,i had to seek a friends advice on how i could resolve my marriage problem and make the divorce case not to take place and my husband live this Lady and come back to me again having heard my story my friend decided to help me at all cost she then referred me to A spell caster named Dr Brave, my friend also told me that Dr Brave have helped so many people that were going through divorce, and also finding possible ways to amend their broken relationship. To cut my story short i contacted Dr Brave and in just four days after the spell was done my husband left the other lady and withdrew the divorce case all till now my husband is with me and he now treats me well and we are living happily together again all appreciation goes to Dr Brave i never could have done this my self, so to whom it may concern if you are finding difficulty in your relationship or having problems in your marriage just contact Dr Brave he is Powerful and his spell works perfectly,i am somebody who never believed or heard about spell but i gave it a try with Dr Brave and today every thing is working well for me and if you need his help his , EMAIL: bravespellcaster@gmail.com, or kindly visit he website http://enchantedscents.tripod.com/lovespell/ . .He is real.

    ReplyDelete

  10. My name is john max, my family and i live in NY USA.It was after
    seven years i got to discover that my wife was unfaithful to me.I
    didn't know what was going on at first but as she got deep in the
    affair with her new lover, i felt that our marriage was on the rocks.I
    notice that she no longer light up when i touch her or kiss her in her
    neck and her chest cos she really liked it when i did that, she also
    usually get naked in front of me but when she started seeing that guy
    she stopped it.I remember asking her if i have done anything that
    makes her feel irritated when i am around her then she gives silly
    excuses that she has been feeling stressed up and that she need space
    for a while.I know when you are been asked for space its usually
    because there is something fishy is going on.I hired a private
    investigator to help find out what was going on.And in a week time he
    brought me prove that my wife that i have lived with for seven
    straight year is cheating on me with her high school lover.I had
    picture of her walking out a of a restaurant with him and many other
    photo of them kissing in public like she will never be caught by
    someone that knows she is my wife.I asked myself, even when we had a
    daughter together she could this to me.That same night i showed her
    the pictures that i got from my private investigator.She didn't look
    at it before saying, that she is seeing someone and she know that i
    just found out about it.Then she said that she is in love with him.At
    that moment, i didn't know if to kill myself or to kill her but the
    button line is that if i was going to kill anyone it was going to be
    me cos i was so much in love with her to even think of thinking to
    hurt her.As time when on she asked for a divorce and got it and even
    got custody of our daughter and i was all alone by myself.For a year i
    tried all i could to get her back with the help of my seven year old
    daughter.Even at that all effect was in vain, i used the help of her
    friend but turned out all bad.I know most people don't believe in
    spell casting but believe me this was my last option and the result i
    most say was impressive.And i know it difficult to believe but A SPELL
    CASTER Dr baluta really made my life much better cos he gave me my
    family back.He didn't ask me to pay for what he did for me all i was
    to do, was to provide the materials for the spell and believe that he
    had the power to help me.Like he said, he was going to do something
    that will make her reset her love and affection for me just as it has
    always been.My wife told me she woke up and realized that she should
    have never left me that i am all she needs.To make thing clear, her
    life with her high school lover was great before Dr baluta castled the
    spell they had no disagreement on anything.The guy said it himself
    that why she broke up with him is unexplainable.Only Dr baluta can do
    such a thing contact him to solve your problem with his
    email: balutaspelltemple@gmail.com


    HE IS SPECIALIZE IN THE THE FOLLOWING SPELL.

    (1) If you want your ex back.

    (2) if you always have bad dreams.

    (3) If you want to be promoted in your office.

    (4) If you want women/men to run after you.

    (5) If you want a child.

    (6) If you want to be rich.

    (7) If you want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.

    (8) If you need financial assistance.

    (9) How you been scammed and you want to recover you lost money.

    (10) if you want to stop your divorce.

    (11) if you want to divorce your husband.

    (12) if you want your wishes to be granted.

    (13) Pregnancy spell to conceive baby

    (14) Guarantee you win the troubling court cases & divorce no matter
    how what stage

    (15) Stop your marriage or relationship from breaking apart.

    (16) if you have any sickness like ( H I V ), (CANCER) or any sickness.

    (17) if you need prayers for deliverance for your child or yourself.

    once again make sure you contact him if you have any problem he will
    help you. his email address is (balutaspelltemple@gmail.com) contact him
    immediately

    ReplyDelete